Fulton Fresh Mobile Farmer’s Market begins 2012 season June 13 with 2 mobile units | Community Spirit
ATLANTA -- On Wednesday, June 13, 2012, Fulton County Cooperative Extension kicked off its second season and rolled out two mobile units to expand the service areas of the Fulton Fresh Mobile Farmer’s Market program.
The Fulton Fresh Mobile Farmer’s Market 2012 Season will run from June 13 until September 12.
The addition of a second mobile unit allows Cooperative Extension to assist more residents with making healthier choices to live healthier lives. The Fulton Fresh Mobile Farmer’s Market program is provided at no cost to residents. The program provides fresh produce and nutrition education to residents living in communities identified as “food deserts,” which are large geographic areas where mainstream grocery stores are scarce or missing.
In order to receive the produce, residents must attend a nutrition education class that includes a healthy cooking demonstration. “The Fulton Fresh program is another example of the county’s commitment to address health disparities by improving access to services to help residents live healthier lives,” sid Menia Chester, Director of Fulton County Cooperative Extension.
In 2011, the Fulton Fresh Mobile Farmer’s Market program delivered an estimated 10,000 lbs. of fresh produce to over 900 residents living in four areas identified as food deserts. West End, Bankhead Highway, Palmetto and the Collier Heights communities benefited from the service.
Call (404) 332-2400 for more information about the Fulton Fresh Mobile Farmer’s Market program.
Fulton Fresh Mobile Farmer's Market locations include:
1st & 3rd Wednesdays, 10 a.m.
*The Shrine of the Black Madonna (946 Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard, Atlanta)
* Palmetto Senior Center (510 Turner Avenue, Palmetto)
1st & 3rd Wednesdays, 1 p.m.
* Berean Seventh Day Adventist Church (291 Hamilton E. Holmes Drive, Atlanta)
* Barge Road Highrise (2440 Barge Road SW, Atlanta)
1st & 3rd Thursdays, 10 a.m.
* The HEALing Community Center (2600 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SW, Atlanta)
1st & 3rd Thursdays, 1 p.m.
* Dogwood Library (1838 Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway NW, Atlanta)
* Thomasville Library (1700 Thomasville Drive SE, Atlanta)
2nd & 4th Wednesdays, 10 a.m.
* Benson Senior Center (6500 Vernon Woods Drive, Sandy Springs)
* St. Mark AME Church (3605 Campbellton Road SW)
2nd & 4th Wednesdays, 1 p.m.
* Zion Baptist Church (888 Zion Circle, Roswell)
2nd & 4th Thursdays, 10 a.m.
* Mt. Vernon Church (441 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive NW, Atlanta)
* Georgia Avenue Highrise (174 Georgia Avenue SW, Atlanta)
2nd & 4th Thursdays, 1 p.m.
* New Life Covenant Church (575 Travis Street NW, Atlanta)
Upcoming Events near East Point
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds
- Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon Will Attract Thousands to Atlanta for Eighth Annual Running